Saturday, March 29, 2008

30 Days Of Night: Show Me Your Teeth!

30 Days Of Night

I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, but it sat at the top of my Netflix queue for a month with a long wait. That's a fairly good sign I guess. It's based on a graphic novel by Steve Niles. And as we know, graphic novels generally make a graphic movie, right??


When I finally got to see it I was pleasantly surprised. I really liked the premise of this one -


A band of vampires hit pay-dirt when they descend on the frigid small town of Barrow, Alaska where they are preparing for "30 days of night" - a time in that area in which the sun does not rise for a month. Wondering why they never thought of coming to this doomed hamlet before now, they create havoc and devastation - murdering with such wild abandon and savageness the poor town doesn't know what hit them.  How fun to see vampires actually do what vampires do best: use their teeth!


Starring Josh Hartnett (The Black Dahlia, Wicker Park) and Melissa George (Turistas, The Amityville Horror 2005, Triangle) as an estranged law-enforcing couple, I can't recommend this enough. It has a ton of tension, loads of gore, and a sense of impending doom pretty much the entire way through. The vampire effects are really cool - different than anything you've seen before, though the female one had this truly annoying screechy-howl thing going on. I couldn't wait for her to bite it.
No pun intended.


It will be a definite purchase for me at some point. So if you like vampires, check this out. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

1 comment:

B.R. said...

This was a pretty good movie, but I think the graphic novel was better. In the graphic novel, Marlowe is just a cheap punk who soon gives way to the real vampire leader; Vicente, a creepy bald, elegantly dressed vampire with large bat ears. Truly a memorable character.