Monday, March 1, 2010

Female Villains in Horror: The also-rans

Doing these daily Women in Horror/Female Villains posts throughout the month of February has been a blast, albeit a time-consuming one.
But it was ever so difficult deciding who to choose to spotlight. I came up with a list of nearly fifty villains, and with only twenty-eight days in the month, I was forced to be picky.
So I've decided to give you an also-ran list of still-worthy candidates that I just didn't get a chance to highlight. Some of them I was rather unsure about true villain status (like Ginger & Regan) and others...well, there just wasn't enough to say about them except they were freakin' nuts. Others just simply didn't make the cut.
So.....

Without further adieu, the rest of the best (or should I say worst?) female villains:


Ginger (Ginger Snaps)
A whole new take on "that time of the month"...


*Lady Van Tassel (Sleepy Hollow)

Making heads roll is her thing. And not in a good way.



The Disney Bitches (Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, 101 Dalmatians)


Scaring children senseless since 1937...


Dracula's Brides (here in Bram Stoker's Dracula)
Literally still chewing scenery in all their various incarnations...


The Alien Queen (Alien)

Frankly, I don't need to be in space to scream at this one...



Julia (Hellraiser)
What lengths would you go to for the one you love?


"Mother" (Mother's Day)

Cue the banjo from Deliverance...


Christine (Haunted)

If it seems to good to be true, it probably is...


Christine (Christine)

Hey, I never said the females had to be human...



Ruth Chandler (The Girl Next Door)
Not exactly the 'tea and cookies' kind of neighbor, okay?



Mrs. Carmody (The Mist)

Not who I'd want on my side during an apocalypse...



Regan (The Exorcist)
"What the devil's gotten into you, Regan!?"


Camilla the nanny (The Guardian)
Gives new meaning to the word 'tree-hugger'...


Claudia (Interview with the Vampire)

Immortal children are actually rather disturbing...



Brenda (Urban Legend)

'Vengence is mine' saith the college student...



Ebril from The Dark
Coming back from the afterlife isn't always the best idea...


HorrorBlips: vote it up!

10 comments:

William Malmborg said...

Great post. I love the term The Disney Bitches and think people sometimes forget how scary some of those wicked ladies were when growing up. Snow White used to scare me to death when I was little as did The Little Mermaid (seeing Ursula on the big screen when you are five or six is just wrong).

I also never thought about the alien in Alien being female, but yeah, that's a good one too. She was really scary.

The Shitty Astrologer said...

Regan deserves a post dedicated especially to her...

Aleata Illusion(GoreGoreDancer) said...

Oooh great list!
I heart Katherine Isabelle!

forestofthedead said...

Yay! Urban Legend lady!

James Gracey said...

Great list Chris - some really interesting choices here!

Ella said...

Great post!

Excellent list!

I agree completely, immortal children are disturbing.

La Morte Vivante said...

I've really enjoyed your horror villainesses over the past month. I understand your misgivings over Ginger of Ginger Snaps - I think my instinct would be to go with her as a villain, but as we know from the character, instinct just happens! ;)

B-Movie Becky said...

I haven't seen your new layout yet! Haven't stopped by in a while...just wanted to say that I like the look of things! Also, I enjoyed your female villains in horror posts. :D

Lisa Washington said...

I have really enjoyed reading all the female villains in horror articles. In fact, I am so glad I found this blog - so entertaining, informative and my new favourite place!

Christine Hadden said...

Aww, thanks Lisa! And thank you for visiting! I've been a little slow with posts this year, but hope to remedy that soon. Keep an eye out! (Not literally, of course :)