Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bringing On The Fear: Part 5: (Don't) Light My Fire !

For reasons that still aren't clear to me, I am petrified of fire.  Well, actually I'm afraid of dying in a fire.  But you get the picture.  Horror is chock full of fire.  People on fire, houses on fire, cars on fire, even gas stations and hospital beds on fire.  Pretty much anything that can burn has done so in horror. 

My fear probably stems from the thought of being burned alive, or being horribly disfigured - much like our friend Freddy Krueger. It would be the cruelest way to die, so it's right there near the top of my fright list.

So with that I present some of my favorite "fire" scenes in horror:

Carrie

Candyman

Christine 

The Dark Knight


Friday the 13th (2009)

Firestarter

Halloween II

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)


House of Wax

Interview with the Vampire

Let the Right One In

The Birds


The Burning

The Changeling

The Crazies (2010) 

The Dead Zone 




Jaws 2

Silent Hill

The Thing

The Last Exorcism

Witchfinder General

The Wicker Man (1973)



"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
~George Carlin

4 comments:

B.R. said...

The Thing is awesome, easily one of my all-time favorite movies. On a more critical note, however, you forgot the fire scenes from Clive Barker's Night Breed. ;)

Melissa said...

There are lots of Stephen King in there.

Christine Hadden said...

BR: I might get chastised for saying this, but Nightbreed isn't really a fave of mine, and these are a gathering of my favorite fire scenes. But thanks for noticing :)

Melissa: Yeah, you have to wonder where all his obsession with fire comes from. Nearly all of his early stuff has some flames in there somewhere...

B.R. said...

I can understand why; the studio did a hack-job on that movie. They cut out over forty minutes of character development and billed it as a slasher flick. Now, it's a mess, full of under and undeveloped ideas and creatures that make little sense.