Friday, January 29, 2010

Women in Horror and more...

Just a few random notes on this frigid friday in western Pennsylvania.

First off, Monday begins Women in Horror Recognition Month.



This is the brainchild of Hannah Neurotica of Ax Wound 'Zine , so I pass along thanks to her for being so damn brilliant. You can read about it here, here, and here.

As you may have read before at this site, I am doing something special to celebrate the occasion.
Each day in February I will spotlight a female villain in horror. It won't be a dissertation or thesis on each one, just a paragraph or two on why they deserved mentioning. That, in and of itself, was no lightweight task. I've been working on it for over a month...yikes.

That being said, it will not be a countdown to the 'best' or anything of that sort. That would be crazy-hard, and waaay too time consuming for someone who actually has a full-time daytime job, as well as a husband that doesn't live and breathe horror like I do. As much as I would love to "rate" these frightening femmes, I would go crazy trying to do so. I mean, do you go with someone insanely brutal like La Femme, or someone simply insane - like May? A vengeful ghost like Kayako from The Grudge, or someone just vengeful - like Carrie?
You see my dilemma.

What you get is a villain a day taking center stage. When I first decided to take this project on, I was wary of being able to think of enough to fill all 28 days... but then I started writing names down, and holy shit - I got to over fifty! So now the task has been narrowing the list down.
I will without a doubt have enough leftover to do an also-ran list sometime in March.

So, keep a look out for your favorites - Samara, La Femme, Mrs. Voorhees, Annie Wilkes - just to name a few.

And while I'm at it, I'm not the only one with something on the horizon for Women in Horror Month - Sarah at Fatally Yours will be doing a month-long spotlight on the subject, Rhonny Reaper of Dollar Bin Horror is running a Viral Scream Queen of the Day, and BJ-C over at Day of the Woman even held a contest to decide what to do to honor the month - she had so many great ideas she couldn't decide - so tune in to her blog to see what won out.
Many others are participating, so stay tuned for all the festivities.

Just a note: Mindless Movie Monday will be on a mini-hiatus during WiH month, but will return in March with more pointless yet (sometimes) entertaining entries.
Sunday Bloody Sunday will remain active, because everyone needs a little gore to start the week.


Also in February I will be bringing you the aforementioned interview with my dear cyber-friend, James Gracey - author of the forthcoming book on the films of Dario Argento - who also happens to have an awesome horror blog, Behind the Couch. (Jump on that bandwagon and be a follower - he's on Facebook as well, where Behind the Couch is a Networked Blog, so if you're on FB, hit that up as well!)

James writes a review that is so articulate and so freakishly first-rate that in the event that he was a major fan of Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, he'd make you one too. This guy should be writing books, and voilà! - he is.

And of course, anyone worth their salt in horror has seen at the very least one Argento film (come on people - at least Suspiria, right?). And most true horror fans hold Argento in very high regard and whisper his name only in the upper echelon of their power rankings - right up there with Hitchcock and Romero.
Therefore, a book breaking down Argento's career film by film sounds pretty good, 'eh?
So keep your eye out for the American interviewing the Irishman about the Italian, okay?

I've also got a few other ideas for the blog festering inside my head, but to be honest, it may be March before anything is realized at this point.
Fascination With Fear also celebrates its TWO year anniversary in March, so I will have to think of something earth-shattering to do for that milestone. Wait for it...

That's all for now;)


HorrorBlips: vote it up!

1 comment:

merricat said...

Very much looking forward to this!