Sunday, April 6, 2014

Celebrating SIX Years Of Fear: Six Favorite Scenes In Horror

Not much of an introduction is needed here, these are simply six of my most favorite scenes in horror. Scenes that made my heart stop, skin crawl, or my anxiety level reach outer space.

Jurassic Park was a popcorn movie, no doubt. A summer blockbuster of the highest degree. But it was also a damn scary flick in places, none more than this classic scene of heart-thumping fear.





 Insidious was an uneven film at best for me, but there is no denying that this scene in which a creepy ghost dances to Tiny Tim's "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" has a very unsettling feel to it.  Even more so when you watch this particular clip.




I was probably twelve or thirteen when I saw The Shining for the first time, and while seeing someone naked in a movie may have been a relatively new thing, I wasn't prepared when she morphed into a rotting old woman. Gets me every time!

 



The Exorcist is a powerful film filled with disturbing imagery and famous scenes. My favorite is a subtle few moments when Father Karras is having a dream about his now-deceased mother. We get flashes of Pazuzu, sure... but more unsettling to me is Karras's mother, ascending out of the subway, only to turn and retreat back down. All the while pleading....Dimmy!




Dark Skies is a relatively new film with the age-old plot about an alien invasion. I'm not as big of a sci-fi fan as I am straight horror, but to be honest this was one of the most effective flicks I've seen in a while. And I'm not much for jump-scares, but this one totally got me.




The Woman in Black (1989) will forever be in my top three all-time favorites (Jaws, Psycho). It evokes such a sense of dread, I've never seen anything quite like it. This scene sent chills up my spine the first time i saw it, and has chilled me to the bone in every subsequent viewing. This is how to do atmosphere in horror, folks.

1 comment:

Michella said...

Some great scenes - The one in The Shining always gets to me.

I loved Insidious personally, but oh, that scene. I can't listen to this song without gettting the chills :) And that little moment at 00.38..... Christ.