Thursday, August 20, 2009

Vampires for the under 21 crowd...


Ahhh.... if only I were sixteen again.
I do realize I'm a complete screwball for vampires, I really do.
I pretty much like everything offered in the genre, which is why I will most certainly check out the new CW show - The Vampire Diaries. Even though it's directed toward the younger crowd and I'm in my forties. Yeah, I don't want to grow up. So sue me.
I have read the books by L.J. Smith - which the series is based on - and I actually have plans to write a bit about both these books and another little cadre of books you may have heard of - the Twilight series.

But for now, I will reserve judgement on the tv series until I've seen a few episodes. The books themselves are good, with interesting characters, and I think it's possible that the CW has casted the new show appropriately.
The stars of The Vampire Diaries: (Nina Dobrev as Elena, Ian Somerhalder as Damon, and Paul Wesley as Stefan)

It is my understanding that there were a few changes made for the series, the least of which is the noticeably different look of Elena. In the book she was a blonde haired, blue-eyed egotistical bitch. Obviously the lead in the tv show is a dark eyed brunette, but we'll have to see if she still has the same uppity swagger about her.
Truth be told, I didn't really like the character of Elena in the book.

Written by 'Scream' and 'Dawson's Creek' creator Kevin Williamson, it's bound to have witty dialogue and up-to-date awareness, as Williamson was fairly famous for having his finger on the pulse of the teenage scene. It is said that the feel of the show is much more "Buffy" than "Twilight". There are bound to be inevitable comparisons, particularly because the Twilight hype is going to increase even more than now (is that even possible?) when 'New Moon' hits theaters in November.
But I'm willing to give it a shot.
And like I said, if I was sixteen - I'd be all over this show like flies on shit. Those vampire dudes are scorching hot..


And I miss Boone. (Somerhalder played the ill-fated character on LOST).

I have a feeling this show will be the next big thing. Vampires are so trendy right now.



No comments: