Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Octoberfest Five: 5 Annoying Horror Movie Tunes

While much of the music in horror lends a perfect, suspenseful tone, there are some songs you wish you'd never had to hear - not because they are THAT awful, but because that song is gonna creep up into your brain and never let go. Here are five of the most annoying songs heard in a horror movie...

 First up, from Dario Argento's terrific giallo, Profondo Rosso (Deep Red), a highly contagious yet unrelenting lullaby.  While it does make perfect sense within the confines of this film, to listen to it outside of its intended purpose is to torture oneself with the never-ending chorus of children la la la'ing their way into oblivion.  It will destroy you.


 

 Certainly a major plot point in Halloween III: Season of the Witch, this irritating, repetitive tune is played throughout the entire film, and triggers a horrible death to anyone wearing one of the Silver Shamrock Halloween masks. Just another gimmick by corporate America to slide us further into the abyss.  But if I'm being totally honest, as cool as the commercial is, it's equally as tiresome to hear over and over for 100 minutes.



Holy Jesus.  This song will never leave your head once you've heard it. Sung by the children from inside the school house about to be attacked by the titular menaces, it makes me want to have my eyes pecked out by crows too!  I would gladly give up my ears instead for their violent tendencies, if it meant I never had to hear "Risseldy, Rosseldy" ever, EVER again.




When Baby Firefly (Sheri Moon Zombie) lip syncs this truly aggravating song made famous in 1928 by Helen Kane, all I can think of is Ginger on Gilligan's Island singing it.  But even that doesn't help me get this godforsaken song out of my head.  In House of 1000 Corpses though, it kind of fits - everything about this film is excess and gore and completely over-the-top antics.  And I love it.  But not that song....never!!



It's possible I saved the best (worst) for last.  It's not that I have anything against Tiny Tim, but his voice really has got to be the most annoying perhaps ever.  However, in the context that it is used in the movie INSIDIOUS, it's absolutely terrifying!  I've included two examples from the film, the first is from a pivotal scene and is pretty damn freaky...the second just reiterates the fact that this may be, in fact, the most annoying song in the world.






No comments: